The holiday season is upon us, and what better way to spread cheer than with a plateful of whimsical and delicious Grinch Cookies?
These vibrant treats are inspired by the iconic Dr. Seuss character, the Grinch, and are sure to steal the hearts of everyone at your festive gatherings.
Not only are they a delightful addition to your holiday cookie platter, but they are also incredibly easy to make.
So, let’s dive into the world of these Easy Grinch Cookies and make your holiday celebrations a bit more festive!
For the Cookies:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Green gel food coloring
For the Grinchy Decorations:
- Red heart-shaped candies or M&M’s
- Edible candy eyes
- Powdered sugar (for dusting)
Step 1: Preheat the Oven
Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
This ensures that your Grinch Cookies bake evenly and don’t stick to the pan.
Step 2: Cream the Butter and Sugar
In a large mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
This process incorporates air into the mixture, resulting in a tender and delicious cookie.
Step 3: Add Eggs and Vanilla
Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Then, stir in the vanilla extract, ensuring a smooth and flavorful cookie dough.
Step 4: Combine Dry Ingredients
In a separate bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add this dry mixture to the wet ingredients, mixing until just combined.
Be careful not to overmix, as it can lead to tougher cookies.
Step 5: Add Green Coloring
To achieve that signature Grinch green, add a few drops of green gel food coloring to the cookie dough.
Start with a small amount and gradually add more until you achieve the desired color.
Remember that the color intensifies during baking, so don’t go overboard.
Step 6: Chill the Dough
Chill the cookie dough in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. This step helps solidify the fats in the dough, resulting in a thicker and chewier cookie.
Step 7: Shape the Cookies
Once the dough is adequately chilled, take it out and shape it into small balls, about one inch in diameter.
Place them on the prepared baking sheets, leaving enough space between each cookie for spreading.
Step 8: Make Thumbprints
Using your thumb or the back of a spoon, make a small indentation in the center of each cookie.
This is where the Grinch’s heart will go, so make sure it’s large enough to hold a red heart-shaped candy.
Step 9: Bake
Bake the cookies in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are lightly golden.
Keep a close eye on them to prevent over-baking, as the goal is to have soft and chewy Grinch Cookies.
Step 10: Add Grinchy Decorations
As soon as the cookies come out of the oven, press a red heart-shaped candy or M&M into the thumbprint indentation.
This represents the Grinch’s heart growing three sizes! Quickly add edible candy eyes above the heart, pressing them gently into the cookie.
Step 11: Cool and Dust
Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Once cooled, lightly dust the cookies with powdered sugar to give them a snowy, festive appearance.
Step 12: Share and Enjoy!
Your Easy Grinch Cookies are now ready to be enjoyed! Serve them at holiday parties, share them with friends and family, or leave them out for Santa with a glass of milk.
The whimsical charm and delightful flavor of these cookies are sure to make them a festive favorite.
Tips and Variations:
- Experiment with Grinch Green: Adjust the intensity of the green color to match your preference. You can even create a variety of shades for a more visually appealing cookie platter.
- Get Creative with Decorations: While red heart-shaped candies are classic, feel free to get creative with other toppings like green sprinkles, edible glitter, or even mini Christmas-themed candies.
- Make it Gluten-Free: If you or your loved ones follow a gluten-free diet, you can substitute the all-purpose flour with a gluten-free flour blend to make these cookies gluten-free.
- Storing Grinch Cookies: Store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week. You can also freeze them for longer storage; just make sure they are well wrapped to prevent freezer burn.
These Easy Grinch Cookies are a delightful addition to your holiday baking repertoire.
With their festive appearance and delicious taste, they are sure to bring joy to anyone who takes a bite.
So, gather your ingredients, put on your apron, and get ready to create a batch of Grinch Cookies that will make your heart grow three sizes with every delightful bite.
Happy baking and happy holidays!
For the Cookies
- Unsalted Butter
- 2 Eggs
- Vanilla Extract
- Baking Powder
- Green gel food coloring
For the Grinchy Decorations:
- Red heart candy/ red frosting/ M&M's
- Powdered Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Cream the butter and sugar
- Add eggs and vanilla
- Combine dry ingredients
- Add green coloring
- Chill the dough
- Once the dough is chilled, shape the cookies and make thumbprint
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until edges are lightly golden
- Once cookies are done and cooled, decorate with a heart and dust lightly with powdered sugar
Get the scoop on more like this: