Like a symphony conductor selecting the perfect composition, choosing the right side dishes to accompany your scalloped potatoes can turn a simple meal into a culinary masterpiece.
You’re probably wondering, what could possibly complement the creamy, cheesy deliciousness of scalloped potatoes?
Well, whether you’re a fan of poultry, meat, seafood, or veggies, we’ve curated a list of over 65 side dishes that will not only match but enhance the flavors of your main dish.
So, are you ready to embark on this flavorful journey?
Pairing With Poultry
When you’re serving up a succulent chicken dish, there’s nothing like the creamy, cheesy delight of scalloped potatoes to complement it perfectly.
Picture this: a savory rosemary chicken, its skin golden and crispy, accompanied by a generous scoop of scalloped potatoes. The herbal notes of the rosemary beautifully enhance the creaminess of the potatoes, creating a harmony of flavors on your palate.
A whole chicken dish, or even a crispy chicken recipe, can benefit from the contrast and balance that scalloped potatoes bring. You’ll find this combination not only satisfying but also comforting, like a warm culinary embrace.
While poultry offers a delightful contrast to scalloped potatoes, don’t overlook the allure of heartier meats that can stand up to the dish’s rich, creamy texture. Consider pairing this comforting side dish with robust, flavorful meats like:
- Ham: A classic glazed ham recipe offers a sweet and salty profile that complements the creamy potatoes. The glaze’s caramelization adds depth to the meal.
- Meatloaf: Both traditional beef and turkey meatloaf provide a hearty, homestyle flavor that pairs well with scalloped potatoes. The meatloaf’s savory juices enhance the dish’s creaminess.
- Beef: Rich dishes like beef wellington or a succulent beef tenderloin provide a robust, savory counterpoint to the potatoes, creating a meal that’s both indulgent and satisfyingly balanced.
If you’re a fan of seafood, you’ll find that its delicate flavors can provide a delightful contrast to the rich, creamy scalloped potatoes. Among the seafood selections, salmon is a standout main dish to serve with scalloped potatoes. Its rich, oily flesh, tinged with a hint of sweetness, beautifully offsets the creaminess of the potatoes.
Consider grilling or roasting the salmon to bring out its natural flavors and create a slightly charred exterior. Pair it with a light, citrus-based sauce to further balance the richness of both the fish and potatoes.
Fresh Vegetable Sides
Scalloped potatoes’ best friend might just be a fresh, vibrant vegetable side, adding color, texture, and a welcome freshness to your dining table. To pair your scalloped potatoes with a nutritious and flavorful side dish, consider these fresh vegetable sides. These dishes aren’t only delicious but also visually appealing, making your meal even more enticing.
- Green Beans Almondine: This classic French dish, with green beans and toasted almonds as the main ingredients, is a crunchy delight.
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts: Tossed in olive oil, salt, and pepper then roasted until crispy, these sprouts serve with your scalloped potatoes perfectly.
- Grilled Asparagus: Lightly seasoned and grilled, asparagus brings a smoky flavor that enhances your scalloped potatoes.
These dishes to serve with scalloped potatoes will surely impress your guests and make your meal memorable.
Moving from fresh vegetables, let’s explore the smoky, charred flavors that grilled options can bring to the table when paired with your creamy scalloped potatoes.
Imagine a main course of juicy, grilled ham making a sizzling entrance onto your weeknight dinner scene. The robust, smoky essence of the grilled ham harmonizes with the velvety, cheesy goodness of the scalloped potatoes, creating a symphony of flavors in every bite.
Now, if you’re wondering what to serve with scalloped potatoes, this is one recipe to make. Grilled vegetables, like bell peppers, zucchinis, or asparagus, can also join the party. Their charred edges and tender insides add a delightful contrast to the smooth, creamy side of scalloped potatoes.
Grilling isn’t just for summer – it’s a year-round answer to ‘what’s for dinner?
Diving into the realm of oven-roasted delights, you’ll find that these dishes bring warmth, depth, and richness that pair exquisitely with your creamy scalloped potatoes. Considering what to serve with scalloped potatoes? Look no further.
- Oven-roasted Brussels sprouts: Their earthy flavors and crispy edges are the perfect contrast to the smooth, cheesy scalloped potatoes.
- Roasted root vegetables: The sweet caramelization of these veggies pairs beautifully with the savory potatoes.
- Oven-roasted chicken: Its juicy and tender meat is an absolute delight to serve alongside your scalloped potatoes.
These are some of the best side dishes to serve. Each recipe makes enough to share, so you’ll have plenty to go around.
Enjoy the symphony of flavors these oven-roasted delights bring to your table.
Cold Salad Combinations
Switching gears to cold salad combinations, you’ll find that these refreshing and crisp dishes provide a delightful contrast to the rich and creamy scalloped potatoes.
A simple side salad can be a game changer. Let’s imagine a bowl of mixed greens tossed with cherry tomatoes, cucumber slices, and a tangy vinaigrette.
This light, crunchy salad will balance the heaviness of the scalloped potatoes, making it one of the best side dishes.
You can also explore more complex cold salad combinations. Try a Greek salad with feta, olives, and a lemon-oregano dressing or a classic Caesar salad.
These options add a different flavor profile, making each bite of your delicious dish an exciting experience. So when you’re wondering what to serve with scalloped potatoes, don’t overlook the humble salad.
Tasty Tofu Choices
If you’re a fan of plant-based options, you’ll find that tofu serves as a surprisingly tasty and versatile side dish to complement your scalloped potatoes.
This protein-packed ingredient adds a savory touch, making it one of the best dishes to serve on a weeknight or whenever you’re craving some comfort food.
Here are three simple yet delicious tofu recipes that go well with scalloped potatoes:
- Tofu Stir-fry: With simple ingredients like soy sauce, garlic, and your favorite vegetables, this stir-fry offers a perfect balance of flavors.
- Baked Tofu: Marinated in a savory sauce and baked to perfection, it’s a satisfying, hearty addition to your meal.
- Tofu Scramble: This dish, seasoned with nutritional yeast and spices, offers a creamy, cheesy taste that pairs beautifully with potatoes.
While tofu offers a light, plant-based accompaniment to your scalloped potatoes, you might crave something more substantial, like a hearty casserole, to truly satisfy your hunger.
Hearty casseroles can elevate your meal, adding depth and richness that complements the creamy scalloped potatoes perfectly.
Imagine a casserole dish brimming with a scalloped potatoes and ham recipe, where each bite delivers a punch of flavor. The potatoes are soft and buttery, melding seamlessly with the savory ham.
If you’re a fan of cheesy potatoes, why not add a layer of melted cheese on top? It’ll provide a delicious contrast to the creamy scalloped potatoes underneath.
Wonderful Warm Breads
The allure of wonderful warm breads, fresh from the oven, can turn your scalloped potatoes into a feast, their soft, yeasty goodness offering a comforting addition to your meal. If you’re wondering what to serve alongside your favorite scalloped potatoes, consider these options:
- Crusty French Baguette: Its crispy exterior and fluffy interior make it the perfect side dish to scoop up the creamy sauce of the scalloped potatoes.
- Garlic Bread: The robust flavors of garlic and butter on toasted bread offer a delightful contrast to the mild, cheesy potatoes.
- Homemade Rolls: Warm, buttery rolls are a classic side to go with any meal, especially with scalloped potatoes.
Incorporating these wonderful warm breads into your meal can elevate your already delicious scalloped potatoes, making your dinner truly memorable.
Flavorsome Cheese Dishes
Moving from warm breads to another tantalizing category, let’s explore how flavorsome cheese dishes can complement your scalloped potatoes and add an extra layer of indulgence to your meal.
Picture a hearty, cheesy lasagna as a side. The robustness of the tomato sauce, combined with the creamy, melting cheese, is sure to impress your guests and make a great contrast to your scalloped potatoes.
Or consider a broccoli cheese casserole, where the sharpness of cheddar contrasts beautifully with the earthy, mild broccoli.
Pairing these cheese dishes with scalloped potatoes, especially au gratin potatoes, creates a divine combination that’s sure to taste great.
Perfect Pasta Pairings
Dive into the world of pasta pairings and discover how these versatile dishes can elevate your scalloped potatoes to a whole new level of deliciousness.
When you make scalloped potatoes, think about the creamy potatoes and tender potato slices that form the base of the dish. Now, imagine pairing that with the perfect pasta side.
- Spaghetti Aglio e Olio: The garlicky, spicy flavors of this classic pasta dish contrast beautifully with the creaminess of scalloped potatoes.
- Pasta Primavera: The freshness of the vegetables goes well with scalloped potatoes, adding a nice crunch to the soft potatoes.
- Pesto Pasta: The bright, herbaceous notes of pesto are a delightful counterpoint to the rich, savory scalloped potatoes.
Savory Soup Suggestions
After exploring the realm of pasta pairings, let’s not forget how a savory soup can complement your scalloped potatoes, creating a meal that’s both hearty and satisfying.
Now, onto some savory soup suggestions.
Or consider a green bean soup, a simple yet flavorful choice that’s perfect for a weeknight meal.
For a more robust option, a brussels sprouts soup will surely hit the spot. Its earthy tones will harmonize beautifully with your scalloped potatoes, making every bite a delight.
Delightful Dessert Ideas
Let’s sweeten the deal with some delightful dessert ideas that can perfectly top off your meal of scalloped potatoes and savory soup. If you’re wondering what to serve after a mouthwatering potato recipe, we’ve some scrumptious picks that pair well with scalloped potatoes.
- Classic Apple Pie: The tartness of the apples and the creaminess of the pie blend harmoniously with your savory potato meal.
- Rich Chocolate Mousse: A light, fluffy, and decadently chocolate dessert offers a sweet contrast to your hearty potatoes.
- Fresh Fruit Salad: If you prefer something lighter, a vibrant fruit salad provides a refreshing palate cleanser.
These delightful dessert ideas will ensure your meal ends on a high note, satisfying your sweet tooth while complementing your main dish.
Spicy Side Dish Ideas
If you’re a fan of adding a little heat to your meal, consider these spicy side dish ideas that will pair delightfully well with your creamy scalloped potatoes.
A green chili and cornbread casserole recipe is the perfect blend of heat and comfort. It’s simple to make and offers a bold contrast to the rich, creamy potatoes.
Alternatively, consider a spicy roasted brussels sprouts recipe. The sprouts are tossed in a chili-garlic sauce before roasting to a perfect, crispy finish. This beautiful side dish isn’t only visually appealing, but also offers a wonderful balance of flavors to your meal.
Explore these spicy side dish ideas when you’re wondering what to serve with scalloped potatoes. Each bite promises an exciting kick of heat.
What to Serve With Scalloped Potatoes
Whether you’re pairing with poultry, indulging in meaty companions, selecting seafood, or going green with fresh vegetables, scalloped potatoes are a versatile side. They also pair well with grilled options, pasta, soups, and even a spicy side dish.
Don’t forget to round off your meal with a delightful dessert. With these 65+ side dish suggestions, you’re sure to find the perfect complement to your scalloped potatoes, making your meal not just delicious, but memorable.